The South Seminole Heights Civic Association (SSHCA) is a non-partisan organization of community residents and business partners representing the South Seminole Heights neighborhood in Tampa, Florida. Our borders are Hillsborough Avenue to the north, Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard to the south, Florida Avenue to the east and the Hillsborough River to the west. Our goal is “to educate, promote and encourage civic pride and awareness of issues impacting the neighborhood in the area known as South Seminole Heights while revitalizing a sense of community in a safe and healthy residential neighborhood.
- Vacant Properties: With the recent housing “crisis” vacant properties have become a great concern. These structures are magnets for vagrants and criminal activity, and pose great risk of fire. Code Enforcement has indicated that this is also a top priority for their department, city-wide. We understand that is going to take considerable joint effort to keep problems to a minimum.
- Rivercrest Park Safety/Security: The community continues to enjoy the many assets of this beautiful park along the Hillsborough River. There continues to be unauthorized after hours (after dark) use of the park, with signs that may point to prostitution activity. Neighbors continue to notify TPD of after hours activity, and we encourage dialog with the City for suggestions to improve security, (such as additional lighting, patrols, and landscape trimming).
- Greater Neighborhood Involvement/Participation: We continually look for ways to engage members of the community, and increase participation in Association events. We are in the process of building a new website, using Hillsborough County grant funds, and are focusing on increasing membership and active participation. We continue to plan social functions and neighborhood projects, but need greater participation for these activities to be more effective.
- Business Development on Commercial Corridors: This is a goal of all three Seminole Heights Neighborhood organizations, as well as the Business Guild of Seminole Heights. We are actively involved with the City of Tampa Form Based Code project and work diligently to attract and support neighborhood serving businesses. This will take a conscious effort on the part of the City, State DOT, and business community to address issues such as zoning, transportation, parking and neighbor/business coexistence.
- Beautification Projects/Greenspaces: We participate annually in the Mayor’s Hillsborough River Cleanup, and usually schedule additional cleanup projects throughout the year in Rivercrest Park. We also award selected homeowners with Beautification Banners to display at their homes, based upon criteria including landscaping, renovation, and rehabilitation of their property. These awards are given seasonally and coincide with our quarterly meetings. We are asking all residents to focus also on alleyways and overgrown vegetation concerns in the coming year.